Friday, January 23, 2009

Many Years Ago

My Duncan Sheik ticket arrived in the mail last night. I really don't like General Admission shows but I've never seen him live. Plus $20 was nothing after pissing away $300 on tickets for Britney. Well, after facility charge, convenience charge, conversion charge, and order processing it was $32. Heh.

His self-titled album was incredible, setting the bar for me. Somehow I'd missed the release of Humming so I bought it along with Phantom Moon in 2002—much to my dismay. While his vocal timbre was still consistently enthralling, I found his later ballads roaming and pedantic. Couldn't avoid hearing the Gabriel & Dresden remix of “On a High” at the club, yet I never thought to listen to Daylight. Haven't heard anything from White Limousine.

Listening to the three new tracks stream from his website it seems nothing has changed. There's even an air of empty pretense to the composition. Yet I still like his voice. And that Holly Brook chick harmonizes with him very well. So it's worth checking out live. Plus he's still attractive despite all the facial hair. Not sure if I'll bother with the album though.

No comments: