Thursday, February 11, 2010

Get Out

I was heading downstairs to the machines after some cardio when a knot of oldsters made me take a hard right through equipment. Thought it was odd since the classes were usually upstairs. Was adjusting the lat machine when a Bally person came up to me. I pulled my earplugs out to hear her say they were evacuating the bottom floor. Then I could smell the smoke.

Upstairs I could see the fire truck so I went up to the doors. A yellow police ribbon started at the corner of the building and encompassed the Radio Shack next door. Then there was a fuchsia HazMat ribbon around the man hole cover where smoke was coming out. Nice.

Was surveying one or two of the fit guys waiting beside me when they announced the whole building was being evacuated. I had my wallet on me but my coat and keys were in the locker room downstairs. I went up to the reception desk asking if I could retrieve them, rushing down after getting a nod. There were a bunch of men still in there changing but I didn't feel like trying.

So the day after the biggest blizzard I've seen in a couple of years I'm walking around downtown, sweaty, nasty, and in gym clothes. Didn't feel self-conscious at all. Love this city!

No comments: