Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Sum of Us (1994)

Not your typical father and son story.

In this Australian comedy based on David Stevens's stage play, Jeff (Russell Crowe) is a young gay man living with his widowed father, Harry (Jack Thompson). Although Harry has always accepted the fact that his son is openly gay, his acceptance is challenged. Jeff brings home a potential lover one night, and in turn, when Harry gets involved with Joyce, a divorcée he met through a dating service, she and Jeff can't see eye-to-eye.

R | 99 minutes | This movie is: Emotional, Heartfelt
© Nexflix


1 to 10? 9 | Tears? Moist | Gay? Endearing | LOL? Amusing | See-Thru Plot? Obvious | Worth a DVD? Yes

Most Favorite Moment: Russell Crowe's character throwing his arms out, asking for his father's approval with, "How do I look, god's gift?" (17:10)
Least Favorite Moment: Jeff's heart attack after Joyce drives off hurt and angry was obvious and over-theatrical. (1:11:22)

At some point I think my sister recommended this movie to me though I never got around to seeing it. She is a huge Russell Crowe so her bias might have let it slip my mind. Shame on me! While it was novel to see Crowe kissing another guy there was a lot here. Excellent adaptation of a theatrical production.

Netflix | IMDB

No comments: