Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Robin Williams

Was really surprised when the flood of announcements came in Monday about Robin Williams' death. Immediately I felt old as he is one of my favorite actors. And when your favorite celebrities start to move on you know your time is fast approaching.

Then I found out it was suicide. It was hard to believe at first then I remembered stuff about the substance abuse. Even his personality made it somewhat reasonable... all the mania had to mean some pretty substantial lows. Still it's difficult when someone I so admired makes this kind of choice.

His comedy is undoubtedly defines him but his films won't soon be forgotten. There were a number of important ones to me. The way What Dreams May Come brought to life much of my spirituality. His paternal role in Good Will Hunting was passionate and heart-warming. The skill and humor he exhibited in Mrs. Doubtfire. The child-safe insanity of Batty Coda in Fern Gully and the genie in Aladdin. And so many more.

*sigh*

No comments: