Monday, March 24, 2008

Portability Returns

The last time I bought a laptop was when I quit my day job to go back to school. When my Grandfather died my sister said I'd probably get more use out of his laptop than I would as I was going back to the U for my Psych degree. No educational plans behind this one though:
HP Pavilion DV9740US 17" High-Definition LCD Entertainment Laptop Intel Core 2 Duo T5450 Processor/ 3 GB /320 GB/Blu-ray ROM/dual DVD writer/Quad-mode Wi-Fi/Nvidia GeForce 8600M 512MB/Webcam/Digital TV Tuner QAM/FM Vista Home Premium
Though not as fast as my primary machine, it has better video, more hard drive space, and a better video card. This will also be my first Blu-ray player. It's factory recertified so, with a Google Checkout coupon and free shipping, it cost me $980. Caught flack from friends about the brand and being reconditioned, but I'm not that concerned. Great specs for a fantastic price. So long as the first thirty days go well, I'm confident it will last me a long time. It left Chicago this morning so I'll probably be fiddling with it tomorrow night. Interestingly my sister just ordered a Gateway laptop from HSN. It was a little overpriced but she loves the HSN experience. She had called for advice while I was checking the shipping status of my own. Coworker told me that a Taiwanese company purchased Gateway so he avoids them. Hopefully my sister got a solid one.

No comments: