Monday, March 3, 2008

Hands-free

Sometimes technology really frightens me.

I always leave my clothes out in front of my locker so others know that someone wet and naked will be back in that spot shortly. Unfortunately blatant hints like that don't always work. Walking up to my locker there was some old guy pushing my clothes out of the way. With a polite smile I say, “Those are mine.” to which he quickly apologizes and forces the naked man to his left to move over half a step. I sigh to myself and dress in the walkway.

I'm about half-way together when, out of the blue, the guy next to me says something to the effect of, “I will let you know as soon as that's in the mail.” He still has no clothing on so I can't look up or towards him. All I could do was freeze like a rabbit caught in a flashlight. He then continues on in lawyer-esque dialog while absent-mindedly toweling off. I shake it off and finish putting on my socks.

Not really sure why this caught me so off guard. I mean, I've gotten used to people walking down the street carrying on conversations with the thin air in front of them. These people can't always be dismissed as wack jobs anymore… they might be Blue Tooth enabled. Yet it doesn't seem right to be carrying on professional conversations in a locker room with all your parts flapping around.

Oh well. Might as well get used to it now. I'm sure bio-implants are just around the corner along with an end to privacy of any kind.

No comments: