Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Torchwood

Chatting with my British coworker over lunch last week we somehow got on the topic of Dr. Who. He mentioned a spinoff called Torchwood that was “incredibly gay” that I should check out. He tried to watch some with his nine-year-old son but they were a bit racy, which further piqued my interest. He brought me in a set of rips from the second season. I didn't get to watching the first episode until today.

Not knowing the series' characters or even story/backdrop of the new Dr. Who, I was a little lost but amused at the “Blowfish in a Sports Car” the crew was chasing down. Seemed like something I could get into despite being the traditional overly-attractive cast toting semi-original technology while making pithy remarks (the British accents certainly helped).

Then the evil doer appeared. The camera follow him walking after killing some ruffian and my jaw dropped when I recognized him: Spike! From Buffy!! And it got better. The cute-for-a-Brit Captain guy races off to corner Spike at some bar. They approach each other all full of menace… then kiss! Hello fanfic fantasies some true. After the brief lip lock they proceed to beat the crap out of each other. Hawt'ness.

When the crew arrives there's extra story about how Spike and the Captain were caught in a two-week time loop for five years. They argue about who was the wife and who's was smaller. Spike insisted that he lasted longer. *swoon* So yeah. I just ordered first season on DVD. Can't believe I don't have friends telling me about this earlier.

Funny… a friend and I were talking last night about how Gay is so 90s anymore because we're mainstream now. Personally I think that's great… especially when it allows some diversity in love scenes on TV. *snicker* He pointed out it may weaken our press for basic equality by blurring the lines. I believe that social integration will make legal awareness natural and unavoidable.

No comments: