Sunday, April 20, 2008

Two Hours

Pretty sure John tricked me into volunteering at his church. Yet every time someone asked me what I was doing Sunday, felt good to say, “Feeding the homeless.” The reality of it didn't hit me even when I was putting the apron on. When the people started shuffling in, it was there. Thankfully there was always something to do.

The hardest part was the kids. One little girl with permed hair in pink pajamas. Two sisters both less than five… I can still see one biting into an apple. I kept up though. Joked with a guy who wanted me to adopt him. Assigned to waiting tables I got called “Lemonade Boy” because I always kept a pitcher with me.

Walking out of there two hours later I almost broke down. John suggested we grab a drink so we headed to the 19. So much to process it was nice of him to distact me. Talked about some stuff we can do during the summer and finalized plans for Thursday night. He gave me an extended kiss good-bye and I thanked him again for sharing this part of his life with me.

Was talking with Michael earlier about my fears of someday being homeless. He laughed at me but I was very serious. Seeing some of those people's faces, their eyes as they thanked me… it came back to me as I went up the elevator. I really did nothing tonight in the grand scheme of things, yet it's more than I've ever done. Pretty sad. Something else I need to work on.

No comments: