Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Boredom

More Internet downtime last night. Really freaky because the DSL modem lights indicate everything is okay, but it won't respond to the router or computer. So this is what I did…
Rained On
I think my DSL modem is dying. Gave it a few restarts, bypassed the router, and switched cables—no help. Tech support at Qwest closes at a reasonable time so I was left to my own devices. Started a DVD.

Then there was rain on the window. Not gentle… forceful. Demanding. With streaks of light as a backdrop followed by peals of rumbling in the distance. Suddenly it was time to be outside. So I dressed in unusable clothing then headed out the door.

Upon reaching the patio came the reality of the downpour. This wasn't something that people in their right minds would walk out in. It was the forceful rain that leaves patterns on the street, dancing waves. I moved out of the direct light to where I could smell the damp mustiness of dead cigarettes. Leaned back against a pillar and closed my eyes to better take in the sound. Two more bolts of lightning later, I couldn't remain motionless. So I was off.

Having so little hair made the coldness of the rain immediate. The reflected street light made the moving water look inches deep when there wasn't even a centimeter. I walked lightly without reason.

As I rounded the newly massive next door condominiums, I darted in under awnings when I could. Passing the entry it was too well-lit to stop as I'd look like a vagrant. So I continued on to the light that shortly changed in my favor. The bridge was well illuminated yet still shadowy. I walked without a care to the first overlook. Facing towards Hennepin Bridge I looked out over the river. The play of light across the ripples left odd patterns… like moving cave paintings that slowly swirled towards me.

A few cars passed behind me but they were easy to tune out. Bolts would arc across the sky in front of me, then head to the northwest. I stretched out my arms, tilted my head back, then took it all in. More muted light would flash over my eye lids. The rain neither lessened nor grew, but I was immune.

Leaning forward to break the reverie, it wasn't scary looking down at the pumps below. Darkness makes everything safe by being indistinct. I asked the storm why Michael wasn't here. Waiting patiently for whispers on the wind, I watched more sparks fly across the sky.

Receiving no words, I noticed a creeping cold start to pierce my shoes. Time to head back. Now that I was returning to safety, the rain was letting up. No more patterns fighting for my attention. Typical.

Was up to my building in no particular hurry. An intern came in after me. She had the tell-tale greens on that took away from the concerned look she had on her face. I would have been dismayed to get on an elevator with a soaking-wet, crazy-looking person. But it was her problem, not mine. I smiled inwardly.

As the chemical drowsiness slowly enshrouds me, I can hear the storm has passed. Like life. So full of promise, only to fade while I was somewhere else.

No comments: