Thursday, May 10, 2007

Theft? But It's Right There

So it looks like the built-in networking card on my main machine (Osiris) is the cause of my recent Internet problems. It was really frustrating to diagnose since the connectivity was intermittent. Anubis also had strange problems so I still wanted to blame the modem. I was at my wits end.

Yet a Qwest technician talked me through some things that proved otherwise. Naturally, I had to get him past the default “please use your system restore CD” response. At one point, the same cable that worked on Anubis wouldn't work on Osiris. Then a cable that worked on Osiris wouldn't work on Anubis. Insanity. But after a number of restarts and NETSH buggery, things looked bad for Osiris.

I want to convert everything to wireless soon anyway, so I ended up buying a wireless USB card for Osiris. Turned off all the WEP/WPA nonsense since I'm only allowing a few MAC IDs. The modem is doing quite well with both wired and wireless but I'll eventually have Bast do the bridging. Makes me want to get a better Palm with the 801g built-in.

As a pretty kewl aside, I bought the “uber range” USB card so I could fish for free connections. There are tons with pretty strong signal in range. It turns out one of the best open ones is from the Dunn Bros coffee across the street! Very handy. Will have to see if they leave it on during the night and weekends… *giggle*

No comments: