Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Smoke Free, Liberty Free

So Pawlenty signed the smoking ban already. This is the first time I've been really disappointed in a political direction this state has taken. Utah was actually less restrictive. I understand the public health issue, but this was plain vindictive. They're all gum-flapping about saving our children and such, but they're targeting areas children are not allowed. Bars and the like.

While I am not really a smoker per se, I do enjoy the cloves on the weekends. It won't be that big of a deal to give them up. But I don't like the eerie feeling of a bunch of people looking over my shoulder and wagging a finger at me. Especially when I'm responsible and indulging in a socially acceptable venue. But unlike me, there are plenty of addicts that this will really impact. I wonder if it will hurt the bars or not. Apparently patios are still okay so long as local restrictions aren't in place. We'll see come October.

No comments: