Thursday, May 17, 2007

Vroom Vrooooom!

My auto co-worker is making me crazy. Not sure when I told him I intended my next car to be a BMW. Plus, I've wanted a convertible for a while but have steered away since they seem like targets for vandalism and speeding tickets. Hell… now that I'm in Minnesota, there's more cold time than warm. But all this practicality aside, he found a 1997 Silver Z3 1.9L Convertible for $9k. It's making my brain itch.

While I've loved the look of them since they were first introduced in 96, buying new was not an option. I might have been able to afford it but I would not allow myself to. I can't justify spending that kind of money on a method of transit. So I hadn't looked into the real criteria I would need to actually buy one until now.

While the 97 1.9L is a pretty solid performance machine, the 99 moved up to six cylinders with a 2.5L. Thankfully Thayne isn't around to be whispering M-Series in my ear. I really don't want more than 200hp in such a small chassis. I'm still worried about having the power it does have in the winter. My friend insists that the traction controls will compensate, but I'm dubious.

Anyway. As for the other practicalities… checked on the insurance bump for the 97 and it's actually less than the Celica. My exact words to the agent were, “Shit! That's for the convertible, right?” *snicker* For the money, I have resolved to never finance a used car. While I can write a check for $9k today, there's still the Celica to deal with. Kelley says I should be able to get around $6k for the Celica if the dealer is nice.

This is damn tempting. It's a Bond car!!

No comments: